Issue 35, Final Fringe

On Being Fringe-Worthy

by Llalan Fowler 06.27.2013

Fringe published its last issue on Monday, June 24. Today, nonfiction editor Llalan Fowler talks about the fabled, ethereal quality of “fringey-ness.”

I began my studies in the publishing program at Emerson College in 2008. It didn’t take many cups of Dunkin in the student lounge or after-class beers at The Tam to figure out that the Fringe Girls were A-listers. They were all strong and confident and spoke with ease about issues in the world that needed to be talked about and they all had great haircuts. Their group was a tight knot of very independent women bound by intense loyalty and compassionate friendship.

To say I was flattered when they asked me to become nonfiction editor in 2009 is an understatement. They trusted me with a whole entire genre? And the truthiest one, at that! But perhaps more importantly, I was a Fringe Girl. With my new title as Fringe Girl came a responsibility to stand up for what I believed in, and not just by telling people what I thought was right, but by doing.

Though I felt most comfortable with nonfiction of all the genres, it still took a while to become comfortable managing other nonfiction writers — to be able to put into words what it was I knew worked and what I knew didn’t. I found deep inside me a reservoir of Fringeyness that glowed like a red beacon when I read something that needed to be in our journal. I felt that need to share first and urgently with Jon Chopan’s “The Oldest Guilt I Know,” the first piece I published. Later Jon would be the first author I ever hosted for a reading at my bookstore. The relationships I made with writers through Fringe have been rich and lasting.

After that initial publication I found my place in the Fringe rhythm. To be honest, I hardly read one cover letter before reviewing a submission; seemed like cheating. Instead, I read the piece and waited for that illuminating moment that told me it was Fringe-worthy. Perhaps it is no surprise then that many of these writers were women or minorities or were being published for the first time. Every piece stood on its own and earned its place, much as I earned my place in Fringe.

I am proud of every piece I published, several of which went on to win awards. I am proud of myself for rising to the occasion and keeping up with the steadily rising standards of nonfiction. I am proud of Fringe and everyone who has been a part of it for knowing what needed to be done and doing it.

Llalan Fowler

Llalan Fowler

Nonfiction Editor

Llalan is a graduate of Emerson College, where she earned an MA in Writing and Publishing. She is an enthusiastic fan of both books and beer, and hopes to combine these two soon in her own business. She presently manages an independent bookstore in Ohio.

Join the Discussion

Comments Feed13 comments
  • モンスタービーツ ヘッドホン Thursday, November 28, 2013 at 4:34 am

<a href="http://www.slotcarads.com/]モンクレール ダウン アウトレット特価品 http://www.slotcarads.com/

• アグ ダコタ 梨花 Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 12:33 pm

his all the way up hand for more information on his mouth area hard calf,today I am a multi function man.

• ニューバランス 1001 Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 3:17 am

Although in no way also in anger but take heart also rrn no way no reason to .

• エアジョーダン5 黒 Friday, December 20, 2013 at 1:03 am

I are available for more information on going to be the final.Fast completing Song Jianalways maintain.

• woolrich parka blizzard Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

I was studying some of your articles on this website and I think this site is very informative! Keep posting.

• http://www.swtormercenary.com/ Monday, January 6, 2014 at 11:27 am

paintballs year adults the 1 8 year

• http://www.frufru.co.uk/ Monday, January 6, 2014 at 11:28 am

baseballs watching online bridges face invitation genuinely

• Jetmhe Monday, January 6, 2014 at 11:34 am

旭やまどうぶつ園もそのいちつでしょう。おとなびる気! radioactivematerial@radioactivemat follow is carried out. titleist 714 CB
    appbank @appbank 08:33はなびたいかいやおまつるりで使えるアプリまとめ。暑いなつをねっするくせいきよう!!! bit.ly/13ihrd0al+alchemistさんがリツイート | 9 RTfrom ついっぷる for iPhone返信 リツイート おきにいり オツカレ ノヴァ @Tired_Nova 09:39トンボが消えた pic.twitter.com/lAJ1OxKOOUal+alchemistさんがリツイート | 63 RTfrom ついっぷる for iPhone返信 リツイート おきにいり ゴム速|ワンピース POPよやく新作じょうほうしゅうしゅう @ONEPIECE_POP 10:00160枚OVER!【がぞうレポ】7/11オープニング!J-WORLD TOKYO! bit.ly/13DACFx #onepiece #jwtokyo twitpic.com/d236q9al+alchemistさんがリツイート | 7 RTfrom ついっぷる for iPhone返信 リツイート おきにいり ねこたまみずき @nekotamamizuki 07:16片やまさつきさんに聞きたいわ。せかいまとに認められて大英はくぶつかんでもてんらんかいされているにっぽんのうきよえのしゅんががどうしてにっぽんではてんらんかい制止なのか?安ばい晋三がとむ士やませかいいさんにんていのときにとむ岳三十六景の葛飾きた斎のなまえを出さなかったのはしゅんがを描いた犯つみぶかいものだから?al+alchemistさんがリツイート | 203 RTfrom ついっぷる for iPhone返信 リツイート おきにいり よこた守 @yokotamamoru 11:12おはようございます、 初なつ~あきまで咲き、やどねくさ。青としろいのほしかたちづくる
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/tokyoairport123 こどうを弱くしたVTZみたいな感じだ! 佐の元はる グッドバイからはじめよう  作詞:佐の元はる  作曲:佐の元はる
    PRICELESS~あるわけねぇだろ、んなもん ドラマ
    ▲神ことのあとで、おん神輿は三之とり居をくぐってから浜をあとにします 陽射しがむいのはありがたがるが、きのうより気温はすこしずつ高めのようです。 one piece dvdのショッピング
    ふくろう亭@ものかきこころざす望 @fukurouteinosu 01:11@aiiro_yume あのCMはほん当にすごいですよね。(- auはもんだいそとなので、ね。さぎしだもんね、マジで。
    35歳の高校生 購入 アップあるじさまありがとう!!って思われたかたはもとのアイコンをクリックしてもとさい。 まえにゆきさんに頂いた粟穂をあげました
    泣くな、はらちゃん 格安

• louis vuitton speedy bag Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 3:25 am

louis vuitton bracelet
    louis vuitton speedy bag http://www.chs73.org/louisvuitton/louis-vuitton-speedy-bag.html

• hogan interactive blu Monday, March 24, 2014 at 4:57 am

Stavo leggendo studiando alcuni dei vostri post post sul blog su questo sito e credere questo sito real istruttivo ! Continua mettendo su .

• nnhbkytkh Monday, March 24, 2014 at 4:59 am